Join Troop 212
Scouts BSA (Troop 212) is for boys who are 11, or are at least 10 years old and have completed the fifth grade or have earned the Cub Scout Arrow of Light Award, through 17 years old. Boys experience a vigorous outdoor program and peer group leadership with the counsel of an adult Scoutmaster to achieve BSA's objectives of developing character, citizenship, and personal fitness. Camping, fun with friends -- and more. It’s the adventure of a lifetime.
Give your son a valuable gift by encouraging him to join Scouts BSA today. The time you invest in him today will make a difference in the person he becomes tomorrow.
TROOP 212 RECRUITING POLICIES
- PURPOSE OF STATEMENT: Troop 212 functions best with a consistent number of Scouts at each age and rank. The long-term viability of the Troop relies on a steady and consistent stream of new recruits from committed families to replace vacancies created from graduates and attrition. The adopted policy details the selection process for Troop 212 recruits.
- COMMUNICATION OF INTEREST TO JOIN TROOP 212: All requests to join Troop 212 should be made directly from the parents of the potential recruit to the Troop’s Recruiting Chair. Families of potential recruits should communicate with the Troop’s Recruiting Chair about their intent to join the Troop between September 1 and October 31 of your son's 5th Grade year. Parents should not contact the Troop leadership directly about selection status.
- INDUCTION OF 5TH GRADE RECRUITS: The primary pipeline of new Scouts to the Troop is 5th Grade boys entering Scouts BSA at the age of 10 or 11.
- THE YEARLY TARGET: Each year, the Scoutmaster and Committee Chair will determine the number of new 5th grade recruits that the Troop can accommodate. Their determination will be based upon overall Troop size, the number of graduating Scouts, recent attrition and the need to balance patrol sizes and composition. Typically not more than 10 to 11 new 5th grade recruits can be accommodated each year.
- SELECTION PRIORITY: 5th grade recruit placements will be filled in the following order:
- Siblings of current Troop 212 Scouts;
- Siblings of former Troop 212 Scouts;
- Legacy recruits – Sons, grandsons or other immediate family members of former Troop 212 Scouts;
- Member families of Moraga Valley Presbyterian Church (Troop 212’s Sponsoring Organization) who declare their commitment to join Troop 212 by October 15th of the recruit’s 5th grade year;
- All other interested candidates.
- SCOUTMASTER REVIEW: Notwithstanding the induction guidelines above, the selection process will be subject to final review and determination by the Scoutmaster and the Committee Chair. --Scouts BSA Troop 212 Troop Guide and Resource Book Page 16
- DECLARATION OF COMMITMENT TO JOIN TROOP 212: Once an interested recruit has decided that he wants to join Troop 212, his parents should directly notify the Recruiting Chair of their son’s desire to be considered for membership in Troop 212 no later than December 1. The Recruiting Chair will confirm receipt to the parents.
- SELECTION AND ANNOUNCEMENT: Selection of 5th grade recruits is expected to be made during December and notification is expected to be made in January or February.
- FIRST MEETING: New recruits begin attending meetings in late March or Early April of the recruit’s 5th grade year. Troop tradition requires that a new scout attend at least three Troop meetings before being officially welcomed into the Troop. This official welcome usually takes place in mid- to late-April.
- GENERAL COMMUNICATIONS: The Recruiting Chair will distribute communications about recruiting functions and events where families can get to know and learn about Troop 212. The distribution notices of these events will be sent to a broad audience well beyond the list of “committed prospects.”
- INDUCTION OF 6TH GRADE AND OLDER RECRUITS: The Scoutmaster and Committee Chair will evaluate each request for 6th grade and older prospects on a case-by-case basis. 6th grade and older recruits begin attending Troop functions immediately after acceptance into the Troop. http://www.bsa-troop212.org
OPPORTUNITIES TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT TROOP 212
To help you decide if Troop 212 would be a good fit for your family, there are two Troop 212 recruiting events this fall for you to attend:
- Open Troop meeting for interested candidates on Tuesday, October 1, 2019 (7:30 to 8:30 PM), at the Scout Hut (1279 Moraga Way) (across from the Moraga-Orinda Fire District Station 41). Boys will participate in a demonstration of scouting skills (dress to be outdoors) while parents enjoy an informational presentation about the troop in the hut.
- The annual Troop Feast Campout on Saturday, November 2, 2019 from 2 PM through the campfire (location is the Hawk Ridge campsite in the Anthony Chabot Regional Park). Experience "gourmet" camp food planned and prepared by boys 10 to 15 years old among other fun activities. Adults have their own menu. Overnight camping is optional. Dad must also attend for candidate to camp.